The mission of the Max-Planck-Institut für Eisenforschung is to understand and design nanostructured materials down to atomic and electronic scales. In this spirit, we conduct basic research on structural and functional materials, mostly metallic alloys, embracing synthesis and processing, characterization and properties, as well as their response in engineering components exposed to real environmental conditions. We work interdisciplinary, with intense mutual stimulation among experimentalists and theoreticians as well as among different groups and departments.
The Max-Planck-Institute für Einsenforschung in collaboration with the RWTH Aachen is seeking outstanding candidates for the Collaborative Research Center SFB 1394
, Structural and Chemical Atomic Complexity: From Defect Phase Diagrams to Material Properties.
Postdoc Positions (w/m/div) in Atomistic Simulations of Crystal Defects
The position gives you a unique chance to work in a large collaborative project that combines simulations, experiments and theory. Your main tasks include:
- Setting up, performing and analyzing large-scale atomistic simulations of crystal defects in metals, intermetallics (mostly Laves Phases) and composites thereof.
- Contributing to the development of Machine-Learning Potentials
- Modeling and analyzing of nano-mechanical experiments
- Publication & reporting
The successful candidates will hold PhD degree in Physics, Materials Science or a related field. In addition, they will have
- An outstanding track record regarding atomistic simulations of crystal defects(mainly of dislocations, interfaces and cracks) and their interactions
- Solid knowledge related to mechanical properties of materials, crystallography, dislocation theory and fracture mechanics
- Demonstrated experience in programming and/or scripting languages
- A high degree of self-motivation, ability to work in an international team and to collaborate with computational and experimental colleagues
- Excellent English communication skills.
What we offer
We offer an exciting, collaborative, and dynamic environment and excellent access to computational and intellectual resources in one of the world-leading institutions for basic research in materials science. We provide a wide range of opportunities for professional and personal development. Flexible working hours allow you to balance your work and life.
The salary is according to TVöD, depending on your qualifications.
The Max-Planck-Institut für Eisenforschung GmbH is committed to employing more handicapped individuals and especially encourages them to apply. The Max Planck Society strives for gender and diversity equality. We welcome applications from all backgrounds.
MPIE - Wissenschaftlicher Bereich